Polenta is an incredibly versatile staple in a whole food plant based diet as it can be a canvas to any number of ragouts and sauces. We offer 2 ways of making it: the traditional Italian stove top way that requires some watching and some stirring and the effortless oven-baked way for when you just can’t be bothered. Please do purchase organic or non GMO verified cornmeal if you can find it.INGREDIENTS
1 cup cornmeal (we prefer fine for soft polenta but medium will also do)
5 cups water for traditional method, 4 cups for effortless method
Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine cornmeal and water in a large saucepan and bring to boil whisking as you go so no clumps form.
- Turn heat to low, and keep cooking for about 40 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so and adding water to desired consistence if it becomes too thick.
- Adjust salt and pepper and serve immediately.
- Preheat oven to 350. In an 8 x 8 oven-proof glass dish, combine cornmeal with water.
- Add salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- After 30 minutes, stir polenta and return to oven for 15 more minutes.