A super food soup packed with veggies of all colours, this is our take on classic Ukranian Borscht.
1 large red onion
finely chopped 2 cloves garlic
minced 3 beets with leaves (beets peeled and grated, stems and leaves separated and chopped)
2 carrots, thinly sliced or grated
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1 cup swiss chard (stems and leaves separated and chopped)
5 cups vegetable stock or water
3 tablespoons sherry or red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons chopped fresh dill or parsley
Salt and pepper to taste
Plant based sour cream to serve
- Heat a non-stick soup pot and add onion and a splash of water and sauté until onion is softened about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté for about 2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add beet stems, swiss chard stems, sliced carrots and vegetable stock or water and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and grated beets and cook 5 minutes more.
- Add beet greens and chard and cook for 5 more minutes until wilted.
- Add vinegar, sprinkle with fresh herbs and serve immediately.