This luscious, elegant dessert is sinfully delicious and very secretly packed with superfoods. In addition to raw cacao powder, goji berries lend their sweetness and their incredibly powerful health benefits to the cake but are otherwise undetectable.
1¾ cup goji berries
1¼ cups water + 6 tbsp
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
3 tbsp ground flax seeds
¾ cup maple syrup
2 tsp Vanilla extract
1½ cups gluten free pastry flour with xanthum gum such as Bob’s Red Mill*
¾ cup raw cacao powder
1½ teaspoons baking soda
1 tsp salt
Triple recipe of Maple Coconut Cream
*If your gluten-free flour does not include xanthum gum, add 1 1/2 tsps of xanthum gum yourself to the dry ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, mix ground flax seeds with 6 tbsp water and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In the mean time, lightly spray a 9” x 9” square cake pan or 9” round springform pan with grapeseed oil (you can skip this step if your pan is non-stick).
- Place goji berries with remaining 1¼ cups water in a high-speed blender and blend until very smooth.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour, raw cacao powder, baking powder and salt.
- Add goji berry purée, applesauce, maple syrup and vanilla to the bowl with ground flax seeds and water. Mix well. Add dry ingredients slowly to wet ingredients, mixing until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes. When a cake stick or knife comes out clean, let cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and cut into 25 squares. Top with a dollop of Maple Coconut Cream.